Sunday, December 21, 2008

African American man owns ancestral plantation land

This is an amazing story of one's heritage coming full circle. Father Moses Barry, a priest of the Eastern Orthodox Church, owns a plot of land that was part of a plantation. Moses Barry's ancestors worked on that plantation as slaves. The structure on the property houses his chapel and a small slave museum. Also on his land is the paupers' cemetary in which his ancestors are buried...



A production company is seeking funding to complete a movie about his life's journey from a life of crime to becoming a priest in the ancient Orthodox Church...



One day it will be a story of reconciliation and historic irony: I am planning a trip with some friends of mine to visit his small museum. I am a descendant of Confederate veterans but I am also an Orthodox Christian. As such, I will offer my respect by kissing his hand and requesting his blessing, a traditional greeting for an Orthodox priest.

I will blog more on Father Barry later.

2 comments:

suleyman said...

Fr. Moses Berry is a hero of mine. I'm a southerner, a southern historian, a descendent of multiple Confederate veterans, and a (soon to be) convert to the Orthodox Church. I also would very much like to meet Fr. Moses, as it would represent for me a sort of fulfillment - or coming full circle - of Southern history.

You've got a great blog here.

-Suley

Justin said...

Thanks for dropping by Suleyman!